As Christians we must study and mediate on the Word of God. Sometimes, we find ourselves wandering away from God’s Word because of other activities. We must have a very healthy Word life because it is our meat and daily bread.
Here are effectively tips to help your Bible study life.
AMP:This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.
1. Own a Bible : Technology has made us something else. The use of electronic bibles has made owning a bible seem unnecessary. It is very important to own a hardcopy Bible to avoid distractions from your device, disappointment from power failure etcetera. It is easier to take notes and highlights on a hard copy Bible unlike a Bible app where you can easily loose everything you have documented. Owning and using a physical Bible also teaches you patience and how to rely on the Holy Spirit because you can’t just search any scripture you want; you have to patiently check. No room for being a microwave Christian.
2. Own a special journal and pen: Writing is very powerful.
Habakkuk 2:2 AMP:And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision and engrave it so plainly upon tablets that everyone who passes may [be able to] read [it easily and quickly] as he hastens by.
One of the women of God I follow on Twitter @Sopharush created an amazing journal which I hope to get on her next release. You can get yours too.
A pen and a journal should be available for your Bible study. The purpose of reading the Bible is not to have a compendium of the stories but to get knowledge of God and revelation applicable to your life. As you study with the help of the Holy Spirit, revelation will come and you need to immediately write it down because Spiritual things are very volatile.
3. Set a conducive location: The atmosphere for spiritual activities is almost as important as the spiritual activity itself.
God is everywhere (Omnipresent) by His sovereignty but He does not meet with people everywhere.
In the dealings of God with men, location matters. The atmosphere and environment created, communicates the value ascribed to the Person you desire to meet.
-Apostle Joshua Selman (Eternity Network International – Koinonia)
4. Set a time convenient for you everyday: Look into your plan for the day and set a time when you know you’ll be free and won’t be disturbed. A time for just you, your Bible and the Holy Spirit.
5. Get a Bible study partner or join or Bible Study Group: For accountability, you need a person or people who also study their Bibles. There is a place for personal study and that must not be ignored but having a partner helps you also. You can ask questions, pray together and research.
Colossians 3:16ESV:Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
As Christians we are to CHASE after God through our lifestyle, worship and study of the Bible and I found a meaning for CHASE online.
C – Choose
H – Hour
A – Accountability
S – Slip-ups
E – Encouragement
I hope this helps. As you strive daily to become better in your relationship with God, may your heart become knitted with His.
How do you keep up with your Bible study? Share in the comment section.